Saturday, December 29, 2007

Ham & Navy Bean Soup

I baked and cooked all day today. Here's the soup we had for supper. Thanks to my mother-in-law Carol for the recipe. I called her twice today to make sure I was going to make it right. I took the ham bone from Christmas Eve and put it in a big pot and got cooking. Here's the recipe.

Ham & Navy Bean Soup
6 - 8 cups of chicken stock
3 meduim carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 ham bone
1 pound navy beans, rinsed
Leftover ham, cut into bit size pieces.

Bring soup to a boil then lower to a simmer and cook for approximately 2 hours, or until beans are cooked through. I also added some Mrs. Dash, fresh parsley, a bay leaf and some cracked black pepper while it cooked. I added the ham during the last 15 minutes of cooking.

It was really tasty and went especially well with the honey wheat bread for supper. Warmed our bellies nicely. Thanks Mom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your recipe sounds good. I've always pressure cooked my beans and find them to have far more/better flavor that way. Pressure cooking all but forces the meat and spices to integrate and without having soaked the beans, I can do a pot from completely dry to extremely tender and tasty in just at an hour.