Saturday, February 16, 2008

Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies


Well I finally got off the chocolate and peanut butter kick. I saw this recipe on another blog (which I can't for the life of me remember, sorry nice brownie blogger whose blog name I can't recall!) It was titled Transportive Chocolate Chip Brownies (lifted from Cooks Illustrated). Well I went and searched on the CI's website and I can't locate this recipe, so perhaps it was adapted from an original CI recipe. It looked like a traditional bar recipe, so that's what I re-named it, cause these things won't last long enough in my house to transport anywhere.

Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies
2 1/8 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
12 tbs. butter, melted
1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position. Line a 13 x 9 inch pan with foil. Spray foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

Whisk melted butter and sugars in medium large bowl until combined. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Using rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in chips and turn batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with spatula.

Bake until top is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 27 to 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.

Notes*
Spreading this thick batter with a spatula just didn't work for me. I just patted it down with both hands.
Bake time - Mine took a little longer than the suggested 27 - 30 minutes. At the 30 minute point my toothpick still came up with wet batter on it. I baked mine for 35 minutes.

No comments: