Friday, February 22, 2008

Granola

I came up with this recipe about 2 years ago. It’s a combination of 2 different granola recipes that I had made over the years. In 2006 I packaged it up in beautiful mugs and containers and gave it away as Christmas gifts to co-workers, friends and relatives. Everyone really loved it and wanted me to make more, so I did. I have been making it pretty steadily for 2 years now. I also got my in-laws and John’s Aunt & Uncle hooked. Many packages have been shipped to Ohio. I almost always double it, and sometimes triple it out of granola demand. I’m pretty sure they are out in Ohio, so some of this batch will be doing some traveling. I always share.

Lisa’s Crunchy Granola
4 cups rolled oats

1 cup wheat germ (I use the honey sweetened when I can)
1 cup chopped walnuts or slivered almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup water
1 (6-ounce) package dried fruits such as cherries, raisins, pineapple, cranberries or papaya. (When I can find it, I use about a package and a half of Sunsweet Fruit Morsels for each batch)

You can also add Raisins, coconut, flax seed, etc. You can throw just about anything you like in. I sometimes will add maple flavoring into the wet mixture, like I did this time. You can pretty much adjust it to your taste.
Step 1


Heat the oven to 300º. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, wheat germ, nuts, sesame seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. If you are making a double batch, like I always do, use a BIG bowl. You want lots of room to stir this.

Step 2

Mix the oil, honey, and water and add to the dry ingredients. Toss the mixture until the ingredients are well combined, then spread it evenly on a cookie sheet. You don’t need to spray the sheet or use tin foil.

Step 3

Bake the granola for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. You need to stir this every 10 minutes to keep the mixture from sticking and to make sure all the granola get nice and browned. I set my oven timer for 10 minutes and then I rotate the trays and flip them top to bottom, bottom to top every 10 minutes.

Let it cool completely, and then stir in the dried fruit. One batch makes about 7 cups.

It’s great mixed into cereal or yogurt, topped on ice cream
or just eaten as a snack.

2 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Granola is a MAJOR weakness of mine!

Pixie said...

Visiting from W on R....this is great-and I will certainly make my own now and what a great gift too.