Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Salmon Teriyaki Skewers with Pineapple

Living in the Ocean State does have its perks. One of them being lots of fresh seafood. My most favorite of all seafood by far is salmon (followed closely by shrimp and swordfish). I saw this fantastic recipe on simplyrecipes.com and knew I had to try it. Let me just tell you all right now, that this was the best salmon I have ever tasted, and I have eaten a lot of salmon over the years.

The marinade will now become my “go to” marinade for most of the fish that I grill and cook. One bite and John and I both “ooohed and ahhhed”. It was that good. This salmon melted in our mouths. Being the ginger fiend that I am, I added more ginger than the recipe called for. I think I may even add some fresh pineapple juice next time. If you don’t like salmon, try this marinade with another fish you like. You will not be disappointed.

Salmon Teriyaki Skewers with Pineapple
Printable recipe
Marinade
½ cup soy sauce (try and use a soy sauce from a Chinese market)
¼ cup rice wine vinegar (substitute regular white vinegar)
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
¼ cup minced green onions
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Pinch chili pepper flakes (optional)

1 salmon filet, rinsed and cut into ½ inch cubes (I used 2 filets and still had plenty of marinade)
1 pound fresh pineapple, cut into 1 inch chunks (please don’t substitute canned pineapple for this step, it just won’t be the same).



In a medium bowl, mix together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and brown sugar, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the fresh ginger, minced green onions, chili pepper flakes, and vegetable oil. Place the cubes of salmon in the bowl, coat completely with the marinade. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours. Remove salmon from marinade. Place marinade in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes, set aside.
Thread salmon, pineapple, and onion pieces on skewers. (If using bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them for at least an hour) If using a grill, prepare grill for high, direct heat. Oil the grill grates. Place skewers on grill. Cover. If using an oven broiler, place on a rack on a broiling pan, so that the salmon pieces are 6 inches from the element. Turn after 2 to 4 minutes. Baste with reserved marinade. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes more, basting frequently, until salmon is just barely cooked through. Serve immediately. Serves 4.




No comments: