Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cleaning out the freezer

I have been on a quest the last few weeks to try to use up some of the frozen items that I have in my extra freezer, which was getting ridiculously full. A took out a package of chicken thighs on Friday night, searched the net for ideas on what to use them in, then decided to improvise and just make something up. Sometimes those turn out to be some of my best recipes.


I boiled some quartered potatoes and pulled them out of the water as soon as I could slide a knife easily into them. While the potatoes were cooking I salted and peppered the thighs, put them in a hot pan and cooked them until they were golden brown on each side then set them aside. I took out my half sheet pan, placed the thighs and potatoes with a package of mushroom cut in half, 4 onions quartered, 6 cloves of garlic thinly sliced, some fresh thyme and rosemary, coated everything in some olive oil, tossed it all up with my hands (yeah it's messy but your hands are the easiest way to mix this stuff up) and put it in a 375 degree oven for an hour.


That's what it looked like before it went into the oven.

This was so delicious and super easy. The chicken and potatoes got all golden and crunchy and my kitchen smelled like an Italian bistro, not that I have ever smelled an actual bistro, but if I had the chance to smell one, I'm pretty sure it would smell like my kitchen did this afternoon.


I had picked a mess of beans from the garden this morning, so we had green beans as our veggies. Quick and easy green bean recipe to follow.

1 comment:

amycaseycooks said...

Don't you love creating a meal out of the freezer?! It's like cleaning out your closet and getting rid of all those old clothes that never get worn. Now I'm motivated to tackle what lurks in the back of the deep freeze.