Tuesday, November 11, 2008

To Die for Blueberry Muffins

Yup that's really the name of these muffins and they really are "to die for". Bursting with sweetness, packed with blueberries and topped with a crunchy, crumbly streusel. It doesn't get much better than this when it comes to muffins.

I've been making these for year and years. I believe I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, which before the world exploded into food blogging, was one of my primary sources for recipes.

My mother-in-law just loves, loves, loves these muffins. She's been bringing them to her neighbors and now they love them too. You can't help but not love these little babies.



This recipe makes 10 muffins. I fill the cups up to the top to make bakery style muffins. You will have more than enough topping for each muffin. I use a heaping teaspoon to top each one and it's just about perfect.

I did vary this recipe in two ways from the original. I use brown sugar instead of white sugar in the topping and I added a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla to the batter. I didn't think I could make these any better than they already were, but I did! Huh!

To Die for Blueberry Muffins
Printable recipe
1 1/2 all purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
enough milk to fill one cup
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cold and cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon



Preheat the oven to 400. Grease the muffin cups or use muffin liners.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk to mix. Place the vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup and add the egg and vanilla and enough milk to fill to the 1 cup line. Mix this with the flour mixture. Fold in the blueberries. The batter will be thick.

Fill the muffin cups to the top. I used an ice cream scoop and one scoop filled them perfectly.

To make crumb topping:

Mix together the brown sugar, flour, cubed butter and cinnamon. Using your hands or a pasty blender combine until the butter is pea sized. Sprinkle over the muffins before baking. I used a heaping tablespoon for each one.

Bake 20 - 25 minutes in a preheated oven or until they test done. Let cool 5 minutes in pan, then remove to rack. Eat warm is possible!

7 comments:

krysta said...

love these...

Autum said...

I have used the recipe for years. I can't wait to try your variation. I usually substitute the milk for buttermilk. It adds a slight tang. I LOVE THESE MUFFINS.

sefa firdaus said...

A must try muffin. Looks yummy :)
Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

yep i am dead now will some one get the crumbs off my face??? ;-)

yum yum

Bunny said...

Oh good you can use frozen berries! I'm gonna try these!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Bunny yes you can use frozen berries, that's just what I did. I go blueberry picking every summer and I freeze my bounty.....fresh tasting blueberries all winter long!

Anonymous said...

I think I have a crush on your muffin table, it's so cute! And blueberry muffins sound so good!