Sunday, February 22, 2009

Maple Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Well the cable man was here today and guess what? He has no idea why we can't connect to the Internet?? The CABLE expert can't help me?? WTF?? So my photos are trapped in the old computer and I'm am starting to panic just a wee bit, but I have faith in my IT guru at work who is going to take everything off the old computer and get it on to the laptop. My files, my recipes, and most importantly my photos...my precious, precious images of my baby boys and family and friends. I think I'm hyperventilating a little, just a little.

It's gonna be ok. I'm just going to keep telling myself that and make it come true.

Ok enough with that drama. I had this post (with photos) all ready to go in blogger, so today you get Coffee Cake. I hope tomorrow I can access the rest of my photos. Cross your fingers for me.

I'm not really a coffee cake person. I know some people love it, but to me it's just eh. Since maple makes everything better in my book, I took this recipe from Yankee magazine and added in a few teaspoons of maple extract. It looked and smelled delicious, but I still couldn't bring myself to eat it. If I'm going to use up fat grams and calories it's going to be on something I really love.

John is a coffee cake person, so he had a big piece for breakfast and then another piece about a half hour later. He loved it. I took half of this cake to Tati's house. Her Mom is here from Slovenija until April and she loves coffee cake, so it will be gobbled up in no time.




Maple Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Printable recipe
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons maple extract (optional)

Heat the oven to 350 and grease a 6 cup tube pan (I used Bakers Joy). Mix walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon to make the topping and set aside.

Sift the flour with the baking powder and soda and set aside. Cream together the butter ans sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Beat int he eggs and vanilla. Add the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the sour cream. Beat well. Add maple extract if using.

Spoon half the batter into the pan and smooth it out with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with half of the topping. Add the remaining batter and carefully smooth it out. Add the rest of the topping.

Bake 40 minutes without opening the oven door, then test for doneness with a toothpick. If it doesn't come out clean bake another 5 to 10 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes then invert pan onto wire rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

amycaseycooks said...

I am most definately a coffe cake person. If I had a coffee cake on my counter every morning, I would be very, very happy. But don't forget a hot cup of coffee too.

Laurie said...

Oh Lisa, I'm so sorry about your computer trouble! I got a little panicky myself just reading your post.

I totally agree with you about not wasting calories on food I don't love. A few years ago I decided to stop eating any food that is just so-so to my particular taste buds and only eat food I adore.

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds yummy...I'm a huge maple crazy girl!

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Looks fabulous.
(Course, I cold say that about ALL your posts!)

I'll make that one the next time I'm in Michigan. Thanks Lisa :)