Friday, September 4, 2009

Eggplant, Zucchini, Mushrooms & Onions (cooking with the last of my garden harvest)

Eggplant, Zucchini, Onions & Mushrooms 2

This is a dish I make without even thinking about it. When my garden starts producing lots of zucchini & eggplant this something that I throw together quite often. There are no exact amounts; it’s a free form kinda dish. So go grab some zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, onion, a little garlic, and some good olive oil.

I start by cooking my onions. I like to slice them in big thick slices. Put about 2 tablespoons of good olive oil in the bottom of a large skillet. Cook the onion until they soften.

Here’s a little I trick I learned along the way that to sweeten up your onions and help caramelize them. Throw in a about a teaspoon of brown sugar while they are cooking. This really gives them a terrific flavor.

Once the onions are soft I add in a zucchini that I cut into big chunks. I just use whatever size zucchini I picked that day. I don’t peel my zucchini either. I don’t use chemicals in my garden, so I feel the skin is safe to eat after a good scrub.

I had some beautiful white eggplant this year. I took 2 of the smaller ones and cubed those up as well. In the pan they go. Next was some baby bella mushrooms. I cut the bigger mushrooms in chunks; the smaller one just went in whole.

At this point I add in a few cloves of minced garlic and some salt and pepper to taste. I let everything cook down until all the veggies are tender. You don’t want them to get mushy, just cooked through. During the last few minutes I add in about a half cup of tomato sauce and let it heat through.

I could eat (and have) an entire gigantic bowl of this concoction. It’s comfort food for me and since I’m the only one in the house that eats zucchini or eggplant, I don’t have to share it with anyone.

Eggplant, Zucchini, Onions & Mushrooms

This is also great served over wide egg noodles. Just add a little bit more sauce and you have a great meat-free meal!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

from the picture, it looks like it has tomato in it? yes? i love ratatouille and make it in a similar way except that it usually does have tomato.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Ooops!! I forgot the step about adding in the sauce! Thanks for noticing that. I just did an edit to fix that! Thanks!

Kim -@ The Paper Apron said...

I love your site. Your header just blows me away. SO tenderly perfect and far beyond the edge of ordinary graphics. Nice job on this veggie pie- Yum! and looking over your others...your banana split cake needs to be my next project. Oh my goodness, I'm so glad I found your blog. It's my favorite discovery in quite a while. I'll be back to visit.

noble pig said...

That is so yummy and healthy and colorful looking!

test it comm said...

That looks nice and tasty and healthy!

Parita said...

Looks fantastic...delicious combination of veggies!

EcuaDeb said...

Did a search of ingredients I had on hand & found your site. Made this & even my daughter who fights me over zucchini gobbled this up. I added a little red wine because I like everything better with a little red wine. Thank you!