Friday, November 4, 2011

Pumpkin Crunch Cake

Pumpkin Crunch Cake 1


Did you hear that there is supposed to be a pumpkin storage this year?
There was talk about it, but when I went to the store, I saw plenty of pumpkin on the shelves. I do a lot of my shopping at BJ’s Wholesale Club, and they sell pumpkin by the 3 pack. I bought two three packs. Then I went to the grocery store and I saw the 15oz size cans of pumpkin for under a dollar, so I bought 3 more. I’m so ready for all things pumpkin.

I found this cake on my beloved Pinterest. It’s also called a “dump cake” because basically you are throwing everything in the dish and baking it. I think crunch cake sounds nicer than dump cake don’t you?

If you like pumpkin pie with a crunchy topping, this is a dessert for you. The bottom layer is like creamy pumpkin pie, and the top layer is nutty and crunchy. I used spice cake for this recipe, but yellow, butter or even white would work too.

It literally took minutes to throw together.

Pumpkin Crunch Cake 3

Pumpkin Crunch Cake
15 oz can pumpkin; or 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
1-12 oz can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 box cake mix (I used spice cake, but yellow, butter or white would work too)
1 cup melted butter (yup that’s 2 sticks)
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Mix the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs, and cinnamon.

Spread mixture evenly in a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking pan.

Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle the nuts over the top of the cake mix. Pour the melted butter evenly over the top of everything. Do not stir.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until top is browned. Let cool before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

14 comments:

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I made this not long ago for the first time and it is delicious. I love how simple it is to make too!

Anonymous said...

There is an alleged pumpkin shortage every year. Baloney.

I stocked up on two cases last year.

And I am definitely going to use some of that pumpkin to make this cake!!!!

Amy said...

There's talk of a pumpkin shortage every year - I swear it's a marketing ploy to get us into buying more canned pumpkin. And like you, it works on me every time! Looks so yummy :D

Anonymous said...

i have been looking for something yummy to make with pumpkin... this looks great!

Unknown said...

that looks so super good!

Mrs. L said...

Nice to see I'm not the only one who fell for that pumpkin shortage baloney. But at least I have some pumpkin left over to make this!

Domestic Dilettante said...

That looks soooo yummy! I love dump cake and a pumpkin version is a great idea!

Becki's Whole Life said...

Love this - I really like dump cakes and the crunch really sounds better...actually that caught my attention big time!

Gerilynne said...

I have three bake sales in November. I do believe this will be making an appearance at one of them - at least.

Cindy said...

Looks delicious... may have to try that one today. Love your blog.... photos are inspiring!

Jillian said...

This looks absolutely delicious! I love all things pumpkin, I may try this for my coworkers.

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

I'm swooning over here.
Looks fab!

Will be making this at Christmastime. Pumpkin isn't just for Thanksgiving, right?

Thanks so much for linking this up to our "Friday Free-For-All" Linky Party!

Unknown said...

oh my, this looks really great! i think i have everything but maybe the milk. i'm off to check! thanks for sharing ! susan

Anonymous said...

made this for thanksgiving and it was a HUGE hit! thanks for sharing!