Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Baked Maple Oatmeal

Baked Oatmeal 2

I know it may seem strange to be blogging about baked oatmeal in August, but just stay with me on this.

I've been meaning to make this recipe for months now.

Does that happen to you too? Do you have those "to make" recipes that seem to take forever to get to?

I have a pretty flowered folder that I carry with me everywhere. It's filled with recipes I want to make. These are the "make within a few months recipes" as opposed to my huge file of "keepers" and "make sometime in my lifetime" recipes.

My sweet friends Rebecca and Melissa raved about this baked oatmeal. I saw it on Rebecca's site and thought "I must make this" and I saw it again on Melissa's site and said it again.

Baked Oatmeal 3

It sat in my pretty flowered folder for months. It slowly made it's way to the top of the pile. It was crying out for me to make it. I had no choice.

I went to my local Whole Foods. Grabbed some old fashioned rolled oats and committed myself to making it.

Baked Oatmeal 11

Boy am I ever glad I did! DELICIOUS! I made this on a Sunday morning when I have my breakfast buddy Tati over. We ate it warm from the oven with a tiny bit of maple syrup drizzled on it. It was so good. Crazy good. I can only imagine how much better it will be in the fall and winter when we you really need something to fill you up and keep you warm.

Melissa has some great serving suggestions. In her words:

"I know what you're probably thinking: "a pan of oatmeal? yawn..." You don't know. This recipe has - no exaggeration - changed the way Steve and I eat and function Monday through Friday.

Every workday morning, we both open up a container of this stuff, pour in about 1/3 cup of water, heat in the microwave for 1 minute, drop in some dried blueberries, dried cranberries or sliced banana, put the lid back on for a few minutes to soften the fruit and voila. Instant moments of heaven right in the middle of the work morning.

Coffee and a banana used to suffice, but no longer. Now, because of this oatmeal, I can never go without a real breakfast again. It's beyond delicious and nourishing and satisfying. Truly. You really have no idea by looking, but seriously. I just finished making it for the sixth week in a row and I have no plans to stop anytime soon".
Baked oatmeal forever!

Indeed!

Baked Maple Oatmeal
recipe from Rebecca & Melissa
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (do not substitute quick or instant or steel cut oats)
1/2 cup raw sugar (you can substitute granulated or brown sugar if necessary.)
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the 3 tablespoons butter in an 8-inch x 8-inch or 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan (I used a deep dish pie plate). Place the pan on the center rack of the oven and let the butter melt as the oven heats. (Don’t forget it’s in there. As soon as the butter is melted, remove the pan from the oven or the butter may scorch.)

Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the milk, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, pour over the dry ingredients and mix together with a sturdy spoon or spatula until everything is evenly combined and wet. Scrape into the pan with the melted butter and stir until most of the butter is incorporated.

Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

INDEED! After four months, we still have it every other week - not tired of it yet. Not even close. I still *crave* it, even.

One last note, if you eat it at home, try it with just a drizzle of cream on top the way Rebecca does - absolute heaven.

So thrilled you made this. :D

Lynda said...

This sounds like a delicious treat for fall, which I hope comes real soon. We are big oatmeal eaters when the weather is cool, but it has been triple digits here for weeks. So I'm bookmarking for future cool weather.

Amy said...

Oh yes. I've had this on my to-dos forever, too. Melissa and Rebecca finally stopped hounding me, rolling their eyes, as if to say "your loss, dumb ass." I need to make it. I DO!