Thursday, February 7, 2013

Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower

Roasted Parmesan Cauliflower RI

We have a monster storm headed our way here in New England. We might get up to 30 inches of snow, so I figured I'd better get this post out in case we lose power. I've got lots of comfort foods planned for this weekend. I hope I get to make them!

For some people mac & cheese may be your ultimate comfort food, or maybe it's your Mom's meatloaf. Growing up with a Mom, Grandma and Sicilian Nonna who were all great cooks that had comfort food looking a little different to me.

I can honestly say my Nonna never made mac & cheese in her lifetime, my mom either. It just wasn't food that my Dad or Nonno would have eaten. Comfort food looked just a little different in my family:

  • Artichoke omelets
  • Figs cookies
  • Crusty Sicilian bread
  • Baccala (dried fish)
  • Nonna's homemade ravioli
  • Home made cannoli
  • Easter bread (with sprinkles and eggs baked into the top)
  • My Aunt Paula's Struffoli (little balls of dough and honey)
  • Nonna's Sfingi (a sugared puff pastry)
  • Nonna's sauce (which my cousin reminded me she always put a pinch of sugar in to cut the acidity)
  • Crispy chicken cutlets
  • Breaded fried cauliflower

Fried cauliflower! Since I've been a little girl I've eaten it and loved it.

My Nonna made it and now my Mom makes it and now make it now (you can see my recipe here.) It's always been comfort food to me.

I'll admit it. I'm a cauliflower lover but I don't care for raw cauliflower. Fried I'm obviously ok with and now roasting it is a favorite too. Once you roast it and bring out that nutty goodness you'll never look at cauliflower the same way again.

This is a super easy recipe. Grab a head of cauliflower, break it into florets, add in some onions, garlic and thyme, top it off with some olive oil and then some cheese. It's like candy to me. Right up there with my obsession with caramelized onions.

I could have eaten that whole pan full. I kid you not.


Roasted Parmesan Cauliflower 1 RI2


Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
slightly adapted from a recipe at Bon Apetit, February 2013

Preheat oven to 425°.

Cut 1 head cauliflower into florets; toss on a large rimmed baking sheet covered in parchment. Add 1 large onion sliced, 4 thyme sprigs, 1 head of unpeeled garlic cloves, and 3 tablespoons olive oil (or enough it coat it); season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Roast, tossing occasionally, until almost tender, 35-40 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, toss to combine, and roast until cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes longer.

20 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Great ingredients! Bet it taste like heaven!.

jen365 said...

I also grew up in a family that never made/ate mac and cheese, but we frequently had fried cauliflower. It's my favorite vegetable by far, and like you, my kryptonite- I can eat a whole roasted cauliflower all by myself! LOVE it!

Laurie said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! Lots of familiar things on your list, but not this. I look forward to trying it.

Laurie said...

P.S. I also meant to say I'd love to hear more about the artichoke omelets. Asparagus omelets I know, but not artichoke. Please do share.

Anonymous said...

Trying the cauliflower recipe to celebrate our BLIZZARD!

Todd.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Yeah Todd! Let me know how you like it! Be safe during the storm.

Anonymous said...

The best possible way to eat cauliflower!! Good luck with the storm :)
Mary x

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

yum! simple = delish

Anonymous said...

I don't get the onion and garlic. Do you mix them up with the cauliflower so they get the flavor or just like it on the pan and also eat it after it's cooked.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I have the same question about the garlic. From the picture, I assume you separate the cloves, but don't peel during cooking. How about when it's done? What do you do with the cloves? Hope you're ok in the blizzard!

Suzanne

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

You mix in the garlic and onions and eat them with the cauliflower. I didn't peel the garlic so it wouldn't burn. I just gently squeezed the garlic out of its peel and ate it. The onions are delicious too. Sorry for the confusion! Lisa

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Thanks Suzanne! We got 31 inches! I'll be posting some pictures on the blog soon. We didn't lose power so we are lucky. My guys did have a heck of a time shoveling out though!

Anonymous said...

Lisa ~ I made the cauliflower for our church carry-in/pot-luck lunch today. It was great! I'll definitely be making it again. This time, it'll be just for me. ;) My relatives in CT got 36 inches of snow and just got plowed out today. Yikes! For once, I'm glad to be in Indiana.

Suzanne

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Suzanne I'm so happy to hear that! It's almost addicting. I can't wait to get to the store to buy more cauliflower. I have another recipe using it moving up.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Oh...we had 31 inches of snow! Pics coming tomorrow!

Laura SC said...

Thanks for this one. I will be making it for Valentines day. I know my husband will love it!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I LOVED your recipe!
The house smelled wonderful!
A new favorite @ our place.
Thank you.
Oh yea, 30" here.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Todd I'm so happy you loved it. I can't get enough of it! I've got a creamy cauliflower and rice dish coming up too. Thanks for the feedback! Lisa