Friday, May 31, 2013

CMP Cake


CMP Bars

I'm so behind on everything friends. My blog, house work, oh I can't list anymore or it will just make me depressed.

To top it all off the beautiful spring weather we had been experiencing turned into temps into the 90's with high humidity. Oh thanks. Just what my mop of a head of hair needs.

I'm going to warn you now this post is going to be a mish-mash of rumblings cause I'm just gonna let it all out.

  • We had a long weekend. John and I both took Tuesday off following the holiday to get stuff finalized in the yard. We did get just about everything finished in between running 10 errands. I think I was in and out of my car like 15 times that day. Jesse went to an oral surgeon who has informed us that he needs to have his wisdom teeth out. Thanks, I didn't need that $1,200 anyway.

  • My house is party central for just about every holiday and celebration. Not this year. I finally learned a new word "NO". No I won't be having a big Memorial Day party. No I won't be having a 4th of July party. No I won't be cooking for Mother's Day. It feels kinda good. For once I want to the be person who just brings a dish instead of cooking everything, not to mention the cost and clean up. With Jesse's graduation party fast approaching I decided to pool all my energy into it and not exhaust myself with everything else. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

  • Bird houses. I'm obsessed. John built me a gigantic triple decker that I spent hours painting. The day before I painted it I visit one of my favorite country stores and saw another bird house. I'm in love with. I don't buy it and as soon as I leave the store I regret it. I just contacted my friend Abby who owes the place and asked her if I could have one made in another color. It's being made for me now. This is my 10th bird house. I'm pitiful.

We did have our friends John and Tati over for Memorial Day. The boys stayed home and they only had one friend over so it was almost like not cooking for a party to me.  I had to make a dessert. I just had too.

I saw this recipe in an email from QVC. I had just bought these (and I love them!) Little strainers in the containers! It's the little things that make me happy. So anyway the email had a recipe for this cake. The recipe originated in Pennsylvania. Seems there is a famous sundae called a CMP (chocolate, marshmallow and peanuts) and this cake was inspired by that sundae. It got me interested so I looked it over and decided to make it.

It was a hit. Oh and most of you know I'm not a real peanut butter nut. This recipe has a 1/2 a cup of peanut butter in it but it's not too peanut buttery at all.


CMP Bars1


There are four layers, so you have to keep taking it in and out of the fridge but it was fairly easy to make. The top layer is slightly marshmallowish and added a nice "goo factor"


CMP Cake
recipe from QVC.

The crust:
1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted peanuts
1/2 cup of butter melted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs

Mix all ingredients together and press into bottom and sides of a 13x9 pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Cool completely.

First layer:
1/2 cup peanut butter
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
8 oz. thawed non-dairy topping (like cool whip)

Cream peanut butter and cream cheese together, beat in sugar. Blend in topping. Spoon dollops onto cooled crust and then gently spread to cover crust. Refrigerate while making the second layer.

Second Layer:
2 (3 ½) ounce instant chocolate pudding mix
2 ¾ cups cold whole milk

Beat pudding mixes and milk until thickened. Spoon dollops into pan and spread gently.  Refrigerate while making the third layer

Third Layer:
8 ounces non-dairy topping, thawed
1 cup marshmallow cream (I used a 7oz jar)
4-6 tablespoons chopped salted or unsalted peanuts or chocolate shavings.

Beat topping with marshmallow cream, once again spread dollops onto second layer and gently spread. Sprinkle peanuts or chocolate shavings over the top. Chill at least one hour before serving, store in refrigerator.

No comments: