Friday, May 24, 2013

Old Fashioned Ranger Cookies

Ranger cookies 3

As most of you know my friend Amy started a site called Cookie Hound. If you haven't already visited I urge you to check out the plethora of cookies there. All cookies all in one place!

Since she started the site, I've been in a cookie frenzy. I keep seeing new recipes and thinking...."oh yes, I must make these and then submit them to Cookie Hound". Not that I have any problem making cookies. I love making pie too. Pie is kinda my thing. I'll take pie over cake any day of the week. Pie and cookies would be a toss up. I love them both. Brownies, that's a whole nother story.

So I found this recipe for Old Fashioned Ranger Cookies on a site called Following in my Shoes. I'm a sucker for a recipe with a background and this one had one. Rachel said:
"One of my Dad’s favorites, Mom would make batches and batches of these cookies, each laden with brown sugar, butter and cereal. I tweaked her recipe this year, only slightly, adding cranberries and using Corn Flakes instead of Rice Krispies".

I also love it when the words "old fashioned" appear in a recipe. It usually means it's a recipe with some history and perhaps a story. Those are the best kind aren't they?

Well I tweaked this recipe even more than Rachel. I used Cocoa Krispies instead of the corn flakes and omitted the cranberries and coconut. No one in my house likes cranberries and although hubby and I love coconut, the kids don't, so I left it out this time around. Next time I make these, there will be coconut!

Ranger cookies 1

I rolled all my batter into balls in one shot and then just kept the ones that weren't in the oven yet stored in the fridge.

These were delightfully crunchy and oatey (is that a word?). I'm sure you could add or substitute whatever you'd like but the addition of the Cocoa Krispies gave these a wonderful chocolaty crunch.

Old Fashioned Ranger Cookies
recipe from Following in my Shoes
1 cup unsalted, room-temperature butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups All-Purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups of “Rice Krispies” or Corn Flakes - I used Cocoa Krispies
1 cup oats - I used rolled oats.
1 cup coconut
1 cup chocolate chips (I substituted chips for the dried cranberries originally used in this recipe)

Oven to 350 degrees.

Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugars together. Add the two eggs and combine. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Then slowly add to the wet mixture.

Stir in (by hand as the dough will begin to get stiff) the cereal, oats, coconut and chocolate chips until combined. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and lay each on the parchment. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges just begin to become golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly before transferring the cookies to a wire rack. Once fully cooled, store in an air-tight container.

No comments: