Friday, May 3, 2013

Rolo Bars

Rolo Cake Bars 1

This nice weather makes me happy.

My whole attitude changes and I have a sunnier outlook on life.

I'm dreaming about all the flowers and veggies I'll plant and the lazy days I'll get to spend on my new couch in the gazebo. A glass of iced tea, some magazines and a long afternoon are in my near future.

I love to dig in the dirt and I love laying pavers and landscaping. I often tell my husband that maybe I was meant to be a stone mason. I really love it that much. I have my little trowel and my rubber mallet and I just go to town on those pavers. I've actually become quite good at getting them in the ground perfectly. Maybe I missed my calling?

All this digging outside keeps my mind off my sweets too. I've really still be doing really good, but I have faltered and had some sugar. I can't cut it out of my life completely!

Rolo Cake Bars 2

A few weeks back we invited one of John's friends Jesse and his wife Sara over to the house for dinner. Jesse worked with John and I had met him once before, but neither of us had met his wife Sara. We had become Facebook friends with her so we kind of had a feel for what kind of person she was, but still we had never connected in "real" life.

Well we spent an absolutely lovely evening with them. Sara was more delightful then we imagined and Jesse was just a sweetheart. I love feeding people who like to eat and who love my food. I think my dinner made them very happy but these Rolo bars.....I think these pushed them over the edge. I have to admit, I didn't have any. I was still being really strict about my sugar intake, but if there reaction was any indication, these were fantastic. I even sent them home with a doggie bag!

Rolo Cake Bars 4

With only 4 ingredients they are a snap to make too!

Rolo Bars
recipe from Cookies & Cups
1 box (18.25 oz) yellow, vanilla or white cake mix
5 oz evaporated milk, not sweetened condensed!
1/4 cup butter, melted
40 Rolo Candies, unwrapped and cut in half

Preheat oven to 350° Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. With your mixer, beat cake mix, evaporated milk and butter until combined. Mixture will be thick and sticky.
Divide batter in half and press 1 half into the bottom of the pan. Wetting your hands with cold water seems to help with this.

Bake until just set, approximately 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and immediately place the Rolo candies, caramel-side down over the batter. Drop remaining batter on top of Rolos in teaspoon sized amounts. Bake for 20-24 minutes longer until top begins to turn golden. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

No comments: