Friday, July 12, 2013

Olive Oil Cake - Strawberry and Creams best friend.

Olive oil cake 2

I know this sounds gross. Olive Oil Cake. It just didn't sound right to me.

My mom had been making this for a few weeks cause my Dad is on a strawberry kick. He eats strawberries almost every night. She was buying the store bought little round sponge cakes. My Dad ate them but he was not thrilled with them. So she tried Curtis Stone's Olive Oil Cake.  When she told me she was going to make it, I was still a bit skeptical. I had seen other cakes made with olive oil but they never appealed to me. Dad LOVED it. He said it was the best cake he's had and that it is perfect with strawberries. Hmmm. I always imagined a soggy, greasy cake. (This is so not soggy or greasy). So she brings me a piece and he's right. This cake is fantastic. It's moist and light and nothing that you think a cake with 3/4 of a cup of olive oil should be.

My Dad's not really a sweet eater, so those little cakes did nothing for him. Besides who wants those little pre-fabed circles when you can have home made cake? So she's making this for him just about every week and he really loves it and now I do too.

Moist and delicious cake with a hint of orange and lemon. I'm telling you, this cake is fabulous!

Mom bakes hers in a 9x13. This recipe calls for a 9 inch cake pan. I think you can pretty much make it in any pan that you like, just check for doneness a bit earlier.

Olive oil cake


Olive Oil Cake
slightly adapted from this recipe at Curtis Stone
Non-stick olive oil cooking spray
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
3 large eggs
¼ cup whole milk
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil

To make the cake: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan (or 9x13) with nonstick olive oil cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray the paper with non-stick olive oil spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar and the orange and lemon zest, then rub the mixture between your fingertips until it is moist and fragrant. Add the eggs and, using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes, or until pale and thick. Beat in the milk. Gradually beat in the olive oil. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture just until blended. Spread the batter in the pan.

Bake for about 25-35 minutes (times may vary depending on the size of the pan you are using), or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs attached. Let cool in the pan on a wire cake rack for 15 minutes, then invert the cake onto the rack and remove and discard the paper. Invert the cake, right side up, onto a cake plate. Serve with strawberries and cream or whatever combo you like!

No comments: