Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Blueberry Honey Bun Cake



Howdy from snowy New England.

We've got quite a bit of the white stuff lately. More than most New Englanders like. I'm not like most New Englanders. I love it. I can easily stay tucked away in my jammies for days on end while the white stuff piles up.

I love it. I really do.

I only wish I had a wood stove. That would make my winter complete.

When it's cold out I always have a soup going on the stove top and I always feel the urge to make a cake. I pinned a few recipes for Honey Bun Cakes and then I ran across this one with blueberries in it. I knew I had a winner.

Leave it to me to make a cake with honey in it when I start to watch my sugars!

I just love to torture myself! I only had a a very tiny little piece. The guys put a hurtin' on this cake in a big way. Half of it was gone in minutes.

This would be a great breakfast cake. That little touch of honey in the middle is to die for.




Blueberry Honey Bun Cake
slightly adapted from a recipe at Buns in my Oven
For the batter:
1 package Yellow Cake Mix (with 2 tablespoons set aside)
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
4 large eggs
For the filling:
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (optional, I omitted)
1 heaping cup blueberries (I didn't measure, I just filled the whole top of the cake with blueberries).
Powered sugar for sprinkling.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 dish with cooking spray. Set aside.

Measure 2 teaspoons of the dry cake mix and place in a small bowl. Set aside.

Place the remaining cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, water, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the mixture lightens and is smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

For the filling,
drizzle the honey across the top of the batter. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. Sprinkle the mixture evenly on top of the honey.

Place the blueberries in the bowl with the reserved cake mix and toss to coat. Sprinkle the blueberries on top of the batter and place cake in the oven.

Bake until the top springs back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 40-45 minutes. Let cool slightly, dust with powered sugar.

No comments: